Thursday, January 9, 2014

Inspiration


in·spi·ra·tion
 noun \ˌin(t)-spə-ˈrā-shən, -(ˌ)spi-\
: something that makes someone want to do something or that gives someone an idea about what to do or create : a force or influence that inspires someone.

I am a person who loves to be inspired.  I was inspired to create this blog because I am at a turning point in my life.  In my late twenties I am realizing that I am not ready to settle for a life that I just enjoy.  I am looking for a way to combine my passions into a life-long journey and career. The first step in this journey involves people who have touched me in some way. I am asking them to share their stories to learn from their unique experience.
However, there is one person who is not around today that I wish I could introduce you to.  

​A woman who personified courage, strength and grace.  When I was twenty years old one of my mother's close friends passed away from breast cancer.  This woman, Lucia, was someone I always loved being around and I came to realize this is because she always inspired me. 

Lucia Terzi Bagan
Lucia lived at the east end of Long Island when she met her husband and married in her mid-thirties.  She
was full of life and loved by all who knew her.  Never one to sugarcoat, Lucia always ​called things as they were and was the type of person to get the job done, whatever it required.  I remember sitting in my parents kitchen complaining ​ to Lucia about about all the books I had to carry to class from my dorm room and Lucia's remark would be "I used to ride into the city every day from Long Island to go to school and I lugged all my photography equipment and bags with me, you'll live."  She was absolutely stunningly beautiful but also one tough mama.  

While breastfeeding her newborn daughter she discovered a lump and was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer shortly thereafter.  At the time she had her newborn daughter, Daniella, and her three year old son, Luciano.  After going through treatment and remission it reappeared again. In her last few months, as I have been told, she explained to her friends that they must go out and help those who were also affected by this disease.  Not just the ill, but their families as well, as she was thinking of her husband and two children at the
time.


Lucia and friends at hospice during her last days
Even in her last days she was thinking of others.  From this Lucia's Angels was born.  Lucia's Angels is a "foundation committed to helping women and families on Eastern Long Island with late-stage women’s cancers including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer and uterine cancer."   Her friends set up this foundation right after she passed.  The women of Lucia's Angels inspire me - I've never seen a group who gets things done the way these ladies do.  
Lucia's Angels board members at the opening of "Lucia's Room" in Southampton Hospital

These women are relentless when it comes to helping others.  To me an "inspiring" person or people are those who's actions go outside of themselves in order to serve the greater good, to lift people up when they themselves may even be down.  I realize each person has their own idea of what constitutes an "inspirational" person.  So what is yours? 
My brother, myself and my father at a 2-day walk.  Our team benefitted Lucia's Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment